Your Guide to Schools That Work!
The Schools That Work Guide is a tool to help families find the right school for their child. Designed with input from over 100 parents of color, we hope this tool gives you & your family gives you a starting point is things to look for & ask about when choosing a school for your child.
How to pick a school!
- Start with your child in mind
Talk to your child—what excites them, what are their interests, how do they learn?
- Identify the 2-3 things that matter the most to you, when picking a school
- Academic performance
- Culture & climate
- Transportation & hours
- Extra-curricular activities
- Explore this guide—choose items that best reflect what’s important to you & your child
- Review profiles—academic data & highlights
- Look at websites
- Talk to friends & family
- Tour 2-3 schools
Bring this guide to remind you of what you might look for or ask:
- How does it feel to be in the school?
- Write down your first impressions of each school
- Apply to a few schools & enroll in 1 school
- Minneapolis district schools—submit a ‘School Request Form’ (check with Minneapolis Public Schools for the 2020 priority enrollment deadline)
- Charter schools (public schools)—for the schools you’re interested in, look for their application on their website or call them directly
- Independent schools (private schools)—for the schools you’re interested in, look for their application & information about financial assistance on their website or call them directly